Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Drawing: Laguna Beach in Sharpie on Coffee Cup Lid


Near where I often draw caricatures on the beach is the old curmudgeon, Berto, who runs the chess board built into a cement picnic table. He makes his money that way, by challenging the passersby, and beating them at chess, I assume.  He's Italian with a thick accent and also has considerable artistic skill.  He drew a fairly-good portrait of me without needing to look at me.  He also draws in pen on coffee cup lids which are ubiquitous, even if one doesn't drink coffee, which he does.

Aaaanyway, I took the idea and ran with it.  Here's my sketch and "bas relief" of Laguna Beach's Main Beach, between the volleyball courts and the playground.

Main Beach, in Sharpie on coffee cup lid. Laguna Beach, California 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment